and use of material on our websites
The Formal Position on Copyright
The material on the web sites http://www.pcurtis.com and http://www.uniquelynz.com is copyright under the Berne convention. All rights are reserved and no reproduction is allowed without permission.
The rights of Peter and Pauline Curtis to be identified as authors are asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act, 1988.
- All the text has been written by Peter or Pauline Curtis, unless there is a specific acknowledge to someone else, and we reserve all rights and copyright.
- All the pictures on the site have been taken by us, unless there is a specific acknowledgement to someone else. Pictures taken out of doors are our copyright which we reserve with the usual incantation. Where we have taken pictures inside that are on the web site we have generally checked, possibly only in general terms, if there are any objections to taking pictures. Where we could not check we have made no attempts to take pictures surreptitiously or where there were any indicationss of restrictions and put them on the web site.
- We have a number of pictures of old photographs, mainly of New Zealand heritage. Those on the web site have been from those taken taken from sources, often private where we believe that copyright has expired. We have however found many heritage pictures, that are obviously from the same source on display in a number of different places, often with a different attribution. There are however now several New Zealand national archives (such as the Turnball Collection, which have been given the original plates or negatives. They have increasingly become the definitive source for copies of many of the old pictures and copyright of new prints is claimed by the archives.
We obviously make no claim to the copyright of old pictures on our sites and it is even possible we are unknowingly infringing somebodies copyright - if so we apologise and if you let us know and we will provide an acknowledgement, or if you have objections to our showing low resolution second or third generation copies, we will remove them.
- The Technical Howto Articles contain many "screen grabs" of windows from Microsoft Windows or application programs to illustrate how to configure various features - we do not claim any copyright over these images.
Making use of our material.
- You are welcome to link to any of our pages at high or low level but not to display them in your own frames. If you want to extract an appreciable amount of text for your own purposes please contact us by email - if it is for personal use on a web site we will probably only request an acknowledgement (name and website address). Commercial use is by negotiation.
- You are welcome to use any of our out-of-doors images for personal use if you acknowledgement us (name and website address) as the source. You must take copies rather than link to our images, which will be both faster for your visitors and not use our bandwidth which is restricted. We would appreciate an email tell us what you are using and the address of your site. Commercial use will incur significant royalties which so far we have passed to charity. In many cases we can supply medium or high resolution images from photographic negatives for commercial use.
- If you want to use pictures taken indoors please contact us first - we will usually suggest you contact the place where they were taken as we have rarely sort permission for commercial use or to distribute pictures for others to use.
- Pictures of heritage material are a problem as we can not vouch that they are free of copyright. We strongly discourage their use other than for research purposes and suggest you seek an alternative source in one of the archives, we may know alternative sources. You should not acknowledge us as the owner of the copyright but you may put a general link to us as a source of information if you need an audit trail for information used for research purposes.